You are currently viewing John D. Murphy, Owner of Dewees in the 1890s

John D. Murphy, Owner of Dewees in the 1890s

Dr. Eddie Collins, the great grandson of John Murphy, came to Dewees on June 12 to share stories and photos of his family. John D. Murphy owned the island in the 1890s.  Murphy was a builder of note, building many Charleston buildings including the jail and police station.  He was so well regarded in Charleston society that the flags flew at half staff when he died. Here are 8 videos from the evening we spent with Dr. Collins, learning about his family’s time on Dewees.

Video 1: Introduction to Dr. Collins and John D Murphy

Dr. Collins introduced himself, and then introduced John Dillehunt Murphy, his great grandfather. He was born on Bull Island in 1844 to Irish parents; his father managed the island and raised crops and cattle.  He was the oldest of four children, and had three younger siblings (two brothers and a sister). Some history is missing because the Bull Island records were destroyed in a fire.  

John D. Murphy at age 17, enlisting in CSA, 1861

At age 17, John.D. Murphy enlisted in the Confederate Army and served in the Confederate Cavalry,  charged with protecting the railroads in South Carolina, and he never left South Carolina during the Civil War.  He became interested in carpentry and became a master carpenter before he got into construction,  That developed into a full contracting and building business later in his life.

 

He married 3 times: his first two wives died in childbirth, and he had 11 children. 

Part 2: The Home at 30 Mary Street and his home on Dewees Island

He built this house on 30 Mary street in 1885 at 41 years old, and lived there with extended family.  Census records showed wives, siblings, children, servants.  Such close quarters contributed to the spread of tuberculosis.  His niece did contract tuberculosis and died.  The house is still standing. At one time, there was a bakery on the ground level.  It was restored in the 1990s and now has several condominiums there.  The kitchen was in an outbuilding.

 His Dewees house was just seaward of lot 5, and there is a pile of red  on 6DI  that might have been part of a cistern or part of chimney or other. His father was (per census of 1812) a brickburner in Christ Church parish.  One guest who lives near the location of that residence confirmed that the bricks are still scattered in yards near Brickyard in Mount Pleasant.  

This is a photo of Eddie Collins in front of the pile of brick on the island, which may have been a chimney or cistern.

 

VIdeo #3: A quick digression about Hurricanes

How were hurricanes measured? Why? How were they named?

Part 4: Family photos Across the Ashley and the Undine

These two photos are from a  “Picnic across the Ashley” show photo of John D Murphy and the whole family, including his great grandmother Laura Josephine Mew.  Their niece Margaret McLean was reported to have been the “belle of the ball”, and she is seated in the center of the table.

Murphy was a city Alderman (council member), a member of the Hibernian Society, The Charleston Country Club, and the Charleston Yacht Club. He raced sailboats in the harbor, and the boat shown was named after his daughter Vivian.
Perhaps his favorite photo is the one of the steamboat Undine, which ferried passengers to and from Dewees.

Video #5 : Construction and Dewees Life

This video shows some of the homes he constructed in downtown Charleston.

25 East Battery St. Charleston renovations. (currently for sale for $28M)
Connelly Funeral Home below Marion Square
237 King Street
367 King Street
34 East Battery

I loved the photo of Dewees Island in the late 1890’s with a sign nailed to a palmetto/. The sign says “TRESPASSING ON THIS ISLAND IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED UNDER PENALTY OF THE LAW.  J.D. MURPHY, OWNER.

In April of 1900, there was an agreement between Murphy and J.O Milligan to lease the “farming” rights and essentially become a caretaker of the island.

It is agreed that John D. Murphy of the second part allow J.O. Milligan to occupy Dewees Island, South Carolina, for one year, for the purpose of planting provisions and vegetables, also planting oysters and melons and cutting palmetto fans.  The party of the first part to allow John D. Murphy of the second part one/third of the proceeds, the hogs now on the island to be taken care of, and all that is penned and fattened, or caught for sale, to be divided as above.  

The party of the first part to take care of all the property on the Island, and allow no depradation or trespassing to the injury of said property.  

The party of the second part reserves for his use the large two-story building, the party of the second part to take care of the same, and allow no person or persons to occupy it, without consent of the party of the second part.  It is agreed that Mr. W.T. Todd shall remain on the island undisturbed.

Other records show that he raised artichokes, and that cane was harvested to fabricate seats and backs of chairs.

Murphy died suddenly in 1900 of an aortic anurism with an improperly witnessed will, leaving the family in disarray. His success as a contractor nonetheless left him with some outstanding debt.  The next chapter was referred to by the family as the “dark days”, during which they had to sell off many assets,  including Dewees Island.

Video #6: The end of John.D. Murphy's life and estate disbursement

John D. Murphy was so well thought of that the city of Charleston flew flags at half staff after his death.

The death of Mr. John D. Murphy, which occurred at his residence Saturday night, after a short illness, removes from the city a familiar figure and an excellent citizen. Mr, Murphy had been about attending to his duties within the past three weeks at most, and the announcement of his demise was received with surprise and regret by all who knew him.  He had been an active man and during his lifetime had been constantly in view, consequently he will be generally missed, even by those who knew him slightly.  

Mr.Murphy was a contractor and builder of considerable note, and many of Charleston’s  most substantial and ornamental buildings bear his name. He was known always for his straightforward, manly, honest principles, and was respected by everyone.

Mr. Murphy has been a member of the City Council for some years and his opinion was often asked on important matters of government. His judgement and good sense were understood and appreciated.  He was a member of Franklin Lodge, AFM, Calhoun Lodge, Knights of Pythias, the Hibernian Society and other organizations. The municipal flag was placed at half-mast on the city Hall yesterday. 

The funeral servides will be held at 30 Mary street at 5:00 in the afternoon.

Appraisal of Dewees in 1900

In today’s dollars, the island would have been worth $88,000. (Prior to the invention of air conditioning, many islands were seen as having undesirable property.)

PERSONALLY appeared HENRY SCHACHTE who being

duly sworn, deposes and says that he is a real estate agent doing business in the City of Charleston and State aforesaid, and as such is familiar with the value of property in this vicinity.

That he considers Twenty two hundred (2,200) Dollars a good and advantageous price for the tract of land known as Dewees Island, situated near the City of Charleston, 1n the State of South Carolina.

SWORN to before me this 15th day of November, AD 1900.

day of November, A. D. 1900

Bill of Sale

Satisfactory evidence having been produced that a sale of this property is required for the payment of debts due by estate of J. D. Murphy. And that an offer has been made  by one J.B. Hyer for his wife Charlotte Deleiselleine Hyer, to purchase at. private sale for two thousand two humdred dollars the real estate known as Dewees Island and a small marsh island adjoining.  That the bbove is a good and advantageous price for the same. 

Videos #7 and #8 Dr. Collins and his Wildlife photography

Then we were treated to a beautiful display of wildlife photos, many of which were taken on Dewees. Great Blue Herons, great egrets, yellow crowned night herons, pelicans, spoonbills, alligators, fiddler crabs, dragonflies, and the submarine watch tower.  From further afield, we saw photos from the Avian Conservation center and Bear Island WMA.

What a treat it was to have Dr. Collins share his photography talents and his personal family history with us.  The Dewees Island History Tour is a self guided tour around the island where you can learn more about this and other bits of Dewees Island History.